Saturday, November 28, 2009

Talon SS, Squirrel Hunting And A Christmas Eve To Remember




This is the story of a Christmas Eve hunt with my Talon SS. I have written many stories about hunting with this gun but I have particularly fond memories of this hunt. Maybe it was because it was a cold, crisp December morning. Or maybe it was because I had the world; or a small piece of it; a winter wood; all to myself.
I'd like to say my beautiful wife told me I could go hunting this morning. But that would have implied I even asked her. I snuck out at O'dark thirty and hit the local woods hoping for some squirrel action. It was windy and brisk with an icy crunch to the leaves. I completely missed the first bushytail I saw. I must have knocked the scope out on my Talon. A few test shots and I was back on zero. That's the good thing about a gun you trust. If you miss you know something is wrong.
This wood is mostly big Oaks with lots and lots of holes that the squirrels hide in. In fact, there is barely one nest up in the trees. If you didn't know better you would think there were no bushy tails to be found.
I redeemed myself on the next shot. It was about 30yds out and I had snuck up on him a bit to get a better shot through the tangle of bare winter branches. He peeked his head out from behind the massive grey trunk and took his last breath. One on the ground.



The next two were chattering high up in a huge Oak. I had to watch them for a while to get a clear shot at either of them. They were about 75yds out so I new I would have to hold a little high. Finally, one of the nutters exposed himself to a clear line of sight. I placed the first mildot under center on his head, pulled the trigger, waited as the pellet traveled its course. I then heard the tell tale "whack, crunch" and down he came.
The second squirrel got mad and started to chatter louder and climbed to the top of the tree maybe 75’ off the ground. I was really looking forward to him taking the “fastevator” all the way to the ground once I popped him. I held over him and struck true. He hung on for a moment then just let go and fell fast alongside the grey trunk. There was a small white pine about 30' tall alongside the bottom of the great Oak and he disappeared as he fell through it.
Excited, I walked on over to collect my prize and was puzzled as I found only one squirrel. I new both shots were dead on center and I couldn't figure out where the second squirrel was. The ground was clear so I started looking to see if he got stuck in the pine. Nothing, then I noticed that the Oak's first massive limb had died and rotted off. This sometimes will form an upward facing hole and this one was probably about 14" wide. And you guessed it. Through the scope I could see a few hairs from the tip of the squirrel’s tail peeking up out of the basket.


Writen by: Matt Sasso

No comments: