Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sumatra Carbine Takes Some Squirrels

A Tired Deerhunter Hunts for Squirrels

It' late November and two months of archery season have passed. While there is still another month to go, I don't have a big rack to show for all my effort. I've spent hours and hours sitting in treestands only to be foiled by the crazy Noreast winds and abnormally hot weather this fall. There were also the equipment failures I did not anticipate. A broken bowstring, a damaged sight and some ridiculous broadheads I should never have purchased. All the while, the squirrels, seemingly in their hundreds have been scurrying about collecting acorns and enticing me back to my airgun roots. And so it was this Thanksgiving weekend that I decided to abandon my compound bow and fill up the airguns for some fast action on the bushytails.

For the last two months I had been mentally marking the prime squirrel spots. In one spot alone I counted no less than 12 squirrels at one time within 30 yards of my treestand. In another spot, I would always come across a half dozen when I was on stalk and now that the leaves were down I was looking forward to some long shots in the hardwoods. I new the time they would be out and exactly where I would find them. Of course when I arrived in the woods the damn wind had kicked way up again blowing leaves and branches and masking any movement that was occurring in treetop or leaf litter.

I decided to settle in against a large Oak and watch. As soon as I had become comfortable I noticed a couple tree hoppers in a large tangled pine over 50 yards away. There was no shot through the leafless limbs and the stalk was on. The wind did serve to mask my movement and noise as i crept from tree to tree making my way in range. Shooting at multiple squirrels is a bit like a game of pool. You want to anticipate the escape route the second squirrel will take once you fire and drop the first one. My Sumatra carbine in .22 was loaded with heavy Eun Jin pellets so any hit on these squirrels would mean they would be anchored. I raised the Sumatra to my shoulder and even though I was concentrating on the shot, I still sighed at the comfortable and familiar fit of my most trusted rifle. I'll continue with the story but I just have to say that the Sumatra carbine is one of the most versatile and best designed hunting rifles I have ever owned. Short, manuverable, accurate and powerful; what else is there to say?



The wind was gusting again as I took aim. I love this shot as you wait for the wind to move the branches and provide a clear path for your pellet. Wait , watch , anticipate and fire....the familiar crack of the Sumatra and the almost immediate sound of the pellet hitting home. Quick work on the lever action to load another pellet and back up to my shoulder, eye on the crosshairs waiting for the second squirrel to halt his escape. He stopped two trees away high atop an Oak. A touch to the crisp trigger and he was falling to the forest floor.

It was good to get out and feel successful again. I think that's what's best about any small game hunting. There is always more game to be had and a better chance to take some home. But of course, you can only guess that on my way out of the woods I came across a nice Buck not 15 yards away. I really think he knew he was in no danger because he only trotted off. Ah well, that's how it goes. I guess it's just better to get what you get and to appreciate all of it.

Written by: Matt Sasso




No comments: