Thursday, November 5, 2009

Gamo Recon Rifle

Give Gamo credit for thinking of perhaps the most important end users in the air gun hobby.  Our kids. Offered as a replacement for the Gamo Cadet Delta;  the Gamo Recon is perfect for young shooters. And even though your seven year old can cock your Beeman R7 the pull, that is the relationship between the end of the stock and trigger is too far.  Let me tell you about a very grown up air rifle for the youth market.  I had a ball with the Recon, its overall light weight, light cocking effort, ambidextrous all weather stock are ready for the great outdoors.  Gamo has filled a very important niche here!  First!   The cocking effort is light and actually quite smooth.  Cranking the barrel and loading is a breeze and is probably a good indicator when a kid is ready to shoot this pellet rifle.  If you can cock it you can shoot it. Missing is any sort of open sights which is in my opinion unfortunate, the Recon comes equipped with a 4x20 scope. Most kids want scopes nowadays. 







Although I’m not a big fan of Gamo triggers I do find this one appropriate to the rifle.  The shot cycle is short and crisp with no vibration.  The gun is very pleasant to shoot.    The safety is in front of the trigger guard in the Gamo manner and is resettable.  An important safety feature in my opinion. I wish that Gamo would offer spacers for the stock to bring it up to adult size.  I’m not kidding when I say this little rifle is a lot of fun and is even a little bit like a Beeman R7 in its sweet forgiving nature.  The finish is plastic.  It’s not much to look at but it will be durable.  You are going to like the Recon as much as the kids will.


Rick Klages

No comments: